Sunday, November 15, 2015

Counting Counts

As you learn a routine the instructor my count to keep the beat. Usually dances only go to 8 like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and repeat over and over until the routine is over. The counts are there to give some construction to the movements. Each move or movement has a count or counts. In some cases "and" is said between one or all 8 counts to give room for faster movements that don't require a full count. I, personally have done dances where, because of the music they have been in 6 or even 10  I did a jazz number called The Case Continues that was in 10 counts and a lyrical called Hallelujah that was in 6 counts. It is hard sometimes to keep in line when, on the rare occasion, dances aren't in 8 counts. instead of 8. It really depends on how the music itself plays out in which counts make sense. Most songs however go along with the traditional 8 counts.

It helps when you are performing if you learn how to count in your head as well as perform. When I was little it was hard to do both because I would always count almost mouthing the counts and forget to actually perform with my face. I learned though and it go a lot easier to stay with my group. I am a very count oriented person when it comes to dance. Some people go by words in the music or sounds, but it helps me when every movement has a count so I can keep track of where I am in the routine.

1 comment:

  1. Counts can be difficult to understand when you are first learning!

    ReplyDelete