Sunday, September 6, 2015

Ballet

Ballet is what all other forms of dance are based off of. It is the most important lesson to have as a dancer or if one aspires to be a great dancer. All of the other styles of dance are the same steps that you may learn in ballet. It makes up the execution of all other forms of dance. Ballet is a series of movements based on strength, poise, and technique. Ballet terms are in French, and it is a very good idea to also know them in English. A good ballet student is well educated on the terms of ballet. Here is a link to ballet terms and their translations as an example provided by the American Ballet Theatre

The ballet class begins with a warm up at barre. A barre is put into place to assist with balance as the dancer performs the warm up exercises such as plie (to bend), and tondu (to stretch). The ballet class normally has an hour of such exercises using the legs and arm movements, It is done mostly in place. When the barres are moved, the ballet terms are put together to form a combination in the center of the floor to form a small routine, Across the floor is also popular in ballet where the dancer uses movements in the combinations to move from one side of the floor to the other.

The ballet dancer typically wears pink tights and a black leotard to class sometimes paired with a skirt depending on the instructors preference. The goal is to have all the dancers look the same to make them dance in unison with one another. Ballet shoes can be leather or canvas and fit tight to the foot as they may stretch out with wear. I prefer canvas as they are cheaper and move better with the foot.

I, personally prefer other styles over ballet. I didn't do many ballet dances in my competitive time, but I took ballet classes twice a week and knew it was very important for me to improve as a dancer.  Here is an excellent ballet dance that inspired me as a dancer.  Ballet Dancers



3 comments:

  1. I loved ballet as a kid! I wish I would have stuck to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ballet is beautiful to watch. I stopped taking dance classes before we got to pointe, I always regretted that.

    ReplyDelete