Monday, September 21, 2015

Tip Tap Shape

Tap is another form of dance. One of the most famous tap dancers is Fred Astaire. He is most famous for dancing and theatrics. It's a very particular type done with leather shoes with aluminum taps on the toe and heels. Tap is a rhythmic dance where the taps of the shoes make rhythms to go with the music. It take a special dancer to excel in tap. 
Image of Fred Astaire from http://banyuleperformingarts.com/


I took tap most of my life, but it was more of a side thing. I never really pursued it. Music with a good, solid beat is ideal for tap. I have seen some tap dances with no music at all, The dancer creates the beats and the rhythm with the taps. It's a very cool thing to see a nice, solid tap dance. The taps create a pattern. There are many steps involved in a tap dance basic and the more complicated ones. Here is an example from So You Think You Can Dance! The girl in the video, Gabby, actually won this most recent season.

2 comments:

  1. I have always been interested in tap dancing and how on Earth the dancers can do it! That video is amazing, no wonder why Gabby won So You Think You Can Dance's most recent season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to put push pins on the bottom of my shoes to make my own tap shoes as a kid. Tap dancing is such a joy to watch!

    ReplyDelete