Sunday, September 6, 2015

Intro to Style

Dance is an art form. It has many different styles from ballroom to hip hop or street dancing. I, personally, do not have a background in ballroom unless you count partner dancing for choir shows in high school. I want to talk about the styles I am familiar with and then go into detail in upcoming posts. I have been doing ballet since I was five, and I have dabbled in a bit of hip hop. My personal favorites are jazz and lyrical. Every different style of dance requires different technical elements and have their own styles within them. Take jazz, for example. Slower jazz exists as well as hard hitting, faster jazz. There is soft, more beautiful, lyrical as well as lyrical that has more beats or possibly no music at all.

 I love to watch So You Think You Can Dance on TV so I'll continuously provide links to dances that I, personally, enjoy and may go along with the different styles of dance. Dance has different aspects of strength as well as endurance that is necessary to keep moving and pushing forward. Dance competitions exist all over the country that men and women attend to show off their style and possibly win a national title.

2 comments:

  1. I have done ballet, jazz, a fast beat jazz, and hip hop. So I really like that you're going to tell us all about dance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to learning more about the different styles of dance.

    ReplyDelete